Botanical name: Biophytum sensitivum Linn.
SANSKRIT SYNONYMS: Viparita lajjalu, Jhulapushpa, Peethapushpa
PLANT NAME IN DIFFERENT LANGUAGES
Hindi: Lajjalu, Lakshmana
PLANT DESCRIPTION: One slender erect annual, leave abruptly pinnate, leaflets opposite, 6-12 pairs, each terminal pair remains the largest flowers.
yellow with many peduncles and fruits ellipsoid capsules. MEDICINAL PROPERTIES Plant pacifies vitiated kapha, pitta, wounds, abscesses, urinary calculi, asthma, stomachalgia.
Useful part: The whole plant
Biophytum sensitivum: also recognized as little tree plant. This is a species from the plant in the Oxalidaceae family including in the genus Biophytum.
- These leaves are ground and sold along with buttermilk for diarrhea.
- These seeds ground with water including applied over wound plus ulcer.
- The samoolam of this plant or the whole plant is ground. Mixed with honey also given for a cough. chest congestion etc.
- Following delivery, the leaves from this plant along by jaggery is cooked furthermore given to the delivered ladies to expel the lochia and remains of the uterus.
- This paste of the leaves means applied over burns moreover contusions.